This Printing United Alliance (PrUA) authorized workshop is essential for those seeking more consistent, predictable and repeatable color.
Color Management Professional®: Fundamentals offers the latest in color theory and applications in color. It is the perfect course for any technical practitioner interested in a comprehensive understanding of a color-managed graphics workflow.
This workshop is taught in person over the course of two days. Two instructors will be available for questions during and after presentations. Class size will be limited so that each attendee will have an opportunity to ask questions and discuss topics further.
This workshop is a prerequisite for taking an online exam to assess your knowledge. Passing the online exam with 80% proficiency qualifies you for professional certification and inclusion in the Idealliance database of certified experts. Upon successful completion, you will be certified for 2 years.
Here’s what sets us apart …
Instructors with deep real-world knowledge
– Decades of industry-relevant color management experience.
– Extensive knowledge of conventional printing processes, dye sublimation, UV, solvent and aqueous printing ink technologies.
Free Color Management Essentials for Attendees
– How To Guide for Monitor Calibration
– PDF download of all presentation slides plus a helpful glossary
– Free access to online certification test (up to two attempts)
– Our custom Color Management Software and Tools list with links to white papers, video, measurement tools, and more
Your instructors for this workshop will be Jim Raffel, a recent inductee into the Academy of Screen & Digital Print Technologies (ASDPT) with more than 35 years of color experience. In addition to being certified by PrUA as an instructor for the CMP program, Jim is certified by Idealliance as a G7 Expert. He is also certified by RIP manufacturers such as Caldera, EFI and Onyx.
Jim will be joined by Shelby Sapusek, a certified instructor for the CMP program. She has more than 25 years of design-side color management expertise. Shelby is also certified by RIP manufacturers and has helped organize and/or lead most of the ColorCasters events.
- What is Color Management and Why is it Necessary – Overview, why’s and hows of maintaining color throughout the process, what is calibration, branding requirement considerations, Delta E tolerancing, realistic expectations of tolerances, and goals and realized value.
- Basic Color Theory and Lingo – The Spectrum, primary colors – additive, and subtractive color spaces, RGB and CMYK, CIE Lab, LCH, gamut, rendering intents, visual representation of Delta E
- Starting the Premedia Process – Setting up applications within workflows, design and creative, creating a print-friendly workflow, limitations of the print process, can it be reproduced in 4/C, spot colors, special purpose color spaces, ECG, PrintWide, etc.
- Equipment and Materials – Proofing devices, measurement devices, RIPs/drivers, substrates, inks, consumables.
- Input devices – Calibration methods, monitor color and calibration, flatbed scanner and camera calibration.
- Output devices – Overview of printing systems, maintenance before calibration, calibration of devices, profiling basics and targets, introduction to G7 and it’s value, visual and data evaluation of results.
- Evaluation of results – Lighting conditions, evaluation of color (reinforces and expands from previous section), effects of visual metamerism
- Process control – Color management pyramid, establishing baseline for repeated state, control targets to verify performance, trouble-shooting issues.
L*a*b* measurements with various tools – goal is a better understanding of L*a*b* and Delta e
Make a profile – start to finish.
Troubleshoot profile problems.
Named spot color replacement and color book creation.
11425 E Independence Blvd, Matthews, NC 28105
9615 Independence Pointe Pkwy, Matthews, NC 28105
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlotte Southeast – Matthews
9420 E Independence Blvd, Matthews, NC 28105
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Charlotte Matthews
8540 E Independence Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28227
Fisher Textiles’ state-of-the-art facility located at:
4211 Matthews Indian Trail Road
Matthews, NC 28104
This workshop takes place in Fisher Textiles’ training and demo facility located in Matthews (Charlotte), NC. The focused, classroom setting allows you to master color management. Learn from the industry’s top instructors and walk away with confidence and skill. Register now — space is limited. The workshop will be taught in English.
Please note that any necessary health precautions will be adhered to by the instructors and attendees as required by the host facility and/or any federal, state and local jurisdictions.